About the Event
About the Presentation
The Universe on the grandest scales is a vast network of galaxies. Dotted along an expanding cosmic web, galaxies shine with the collective light of thousands to billions of stars, forming dynamic ecosystems. They allow multiple generations of stars to build new atoms that had never before existed. They foster complex chemistry, even organic chemistry, in an otherwise sterile Universe. One galaxy, the Milky Way, is special to us. Without it, we would not exist. Dr. Bullock will share the story of how it happened, and how, once revealed, the Milky Way led the way to a revolution in our understanding of Universe’s origins, its makeup, and possibly its ultimate fate.
About our Speaker
James Bullock earned his BS in physics and math from The University of Ohio, followed by MS and PhD degrees in physics from UC Santa Cruz. Bullock is currently Professor of Physics and Astronomy at UC Irvine, Director of the Southern California Center for Galaxy Evolution and Director of UCI's Center for Cosmology. To learn more about his research, go to his website.
- Online registration will close on the day before the event. Walk-ins are welcome, space permitting. Guests are always welcome.
- A Buffet Lunch will be available for $20 in advance via the website, $20 at the door (cash or credit). This price includes the buffet, iced tea, sherbet, tax and tip. Other drinks and desserts are available a la carte. Full credit for future OC lunches can be given if you pay in advance but cannot attend at the last minute.
- It is not necessary to purchase lunch in order to attend this event.
- Lunch is available starting at 11:30am. The talk, including Q&A, will be from noon-1:00pm. Post-talk networking will last until 1:30pm or as long as UCI doesn't kick us out.
- We are usually located in Conference Room C, which is all the way in the back of the Club, past the buffet service tables. If the room is changed for some reason, signs will guide you.
- Parking is free in the University Club lot for the duration of our event. If the lot is full, parking is available in the Anteater Parking Structure two blocks away for a fee.
Questions? Contact: : email@example.com